The municipality is delimited in the East by the steep slopes of the Doustre valley, whilst extending in the West on a plateau with countless lakes. The picturesque houses of the village, with their stone or slate-roofs, are arranged in a semicircle around the church.
Called the ‘Gumontois’
Some key figures:
109 inhabitants, 9.87 km², altitude (highest-lowest): 350m-546m, population density: 11.04/km²
lundi et jeudi : 14 h-17h
: 05 55 29 12 95
05 55 29 12 95
Mail : email@example.com
Mayor / Deputy mayors:
Jean Pierre PEUCH
Reproducing the arms of the du Breuil family, the blazon of Gumont, adopted in 1986, represents three blue (azure) waves on a golden (or) background. It is thought to symbolise serenity and peaceful might.
• Church from the end of the 9th century, restored in the 13th, 15th and 16th centuries.
• 2 stone crosses
• Numerous wells, ovens and chestnut drying houses
• Old mills
• Saint George’s fountain (Fontaine Saint Georges)
• Beautiful houses with character, stone roofs
• 17th century presbytery, restored in the 19th and 20th centuries
• 4 private lakes
A bit of history:
The ancient name of the village, ‘Acumonte’ (pointed top), due to its location on top of a very steep mount, was distorted to ‘Gumont’ through mispronunciation.
The village church was bequeathed to Tulle Abbey by viscount Adémar around 930. Gumont was a stronghold until 1114, when it lost Saint Maur de la Roche (the old name of La Roche Canillac) which until then had been annexed to it.
The area then came under the barony of the La Roche family, but retained a small seigneury in Le Breuil. Several families ruled there, such as the Guitard or the de Chanac. The de Selve family, who were living there in the middle of the 15th century, had a manor built, but it was pillaged by the Huguenots one century later (1569). Modified into a small château in 1583, it remained a property of this family until the 17th century and was demolished around 1830.
Only its old well is now left.
Around 1843, Gumont donated the hamlets of La Croix de la Borie, Beaufort, les Quatre Routes, Lavergne, l’Estanchou, Puy Banal and la Roche Haussière to La Roche Canillac.
The now abandoned mills along the Doustre are witness to an ancient and intense activity linked to the production of chestnut and wheat flour and walnut oil. The lower slopes of Gumont used to be planted with walnut trees, but have now gone back to forest.
Council meetings of Gumont.
More photos of the municipality.