Overlooking the steep wooded valley of the Doustre, this local administrative centre is composed of La Roche Haute, on the border between the plateau and the gorges, and of La Roche Basse clutching to the slopes.
Called the ‘Canillacois’
Some key figures:
168 inhabitants, 3.12 km², altitude (highest-lowest): 280m-523m, population density: 53.85/km²
Monday to Friday: 13:30-17:00
05 55 29 12 46
05 55 29 28 16
Mayor / Deputy mayors:
Mrs ROUHAUD France / M. LESTIEUX Jacques, Mrs RAYNAL Christiane
Mrs TABAILLOUX Claire
Adopted in 1965, the blazon has 3 parts:
-the left side reproduces the arms of the de la Roche, with red (gules) and silver (argent) waves.
- the right side reproduces the arms of the Canillac, a crawling silver (argent) greyhound with red (gules) arms and collar and a silver (argent) compony bordure (an edge with alternating colours) on a blue (azure) background.
- the silver fillet underneath the shield, bearing the de Canillac’s motto: nunquam impune (never unpunished).
The meaning of this motto is thought to be that every person must be responsible for his or her actions and never do anything thoughtlessly.
• 12th century church, modified in the 14th century
• 4 stone crosses
• 3 fountains
• 2 wells
• 2 washhouses
• 2 old mills
• Numerous houses with character, stone roofs
• The ‘Tour de Canillac’ (tower)
• The ‘château de Beaufort’ (privately owned)
• The ‘courrijoux’ (narrow lanes)
• Viewing spots over the Doustre valley
See the website www.canillac.fr
(many ancient pictures)
A bit of history:
After being called ‘Saint Maur de la Roche’ in the Middle Ages, the village came to be knwon as ‘la Roche en Lemouzi’ in the 10th century, then ‘La Roche Canillac’ at the end of the 18th century. The village was the seat of the barony of the de la Roche family, then of the Canillac family.
Already known in the 9th century, La Roche Basse had a small chapel attached to Gumont and a castle overlooking the narrow valley of the Doustre. The feudal castle of La Roche en Lemouzi controlled the traffic going to the Dordogne valley. Destroyed by the English in the 12th century, the castle was rebuilt 50 m further up, in la Roche Haute, by the lord Gérald de la Roche. A church was built inside its walls. In 1114, his son Aymard built another castle (which got destroyed during the Revolution) on the original site in La Roche Basse, leaving La Roche Haute to the monks of Tulle to found the priory of Saint Maur de la Roche on the site of that castle. Today’s church, dedicated to St Maur (originally to St Martin), was rebuilt in the 14th century to the request of the Cardinal d’Aigrefeuille.
In the 16th century, the barony of the de la Roche having no male heir, the land passed to Jean de Beaufort, viscount of Lamothe-Canillac, husband of Jeanne, sister of the last male descendant. This family ruled until the Revolution, giving its glorious name to the village, which became ‘La Roche Canillac’ in 1774.
The building of the school at the end of the 19th century and the opening of the railway line in 1910 contributed to the development of the upper part of the village (around the station).
La Roche Basse, a listed historic site since 1980, is a medieval village built on a slope around the Tour de Canillac (tower). The picturesque ‘courrijoux’, narrow lanes connecting the terraced agricultural plots and the houses, contribute to the authentic character of the village.
Council meetings of La Roche Canillac
The municipal camping
More photos of the municipality